2012 U.S. Chess Championships in Saint Louis
Once a year, the top chess players in the country converge in a battle of wits to determine who will be crowned champions in Saint Louis. And this year brings a twist – a chess-related Guinness World Record will be unveiled at the start of the tournament.
For the fourth year in a row, the 2012 U.S. Championship and U.S. Women’s Championships will be held at the Chess Club and Scholastic Center of Saint Louis. This year’s tournaments take place May 8-20. The world record will be unveiled in Saint Louis on May 7 – making Saint Louis, which has long been known as the Gateway to the West, the new Gateway to Chess.
Below are scheduled events:
- Unveiling of a Guinness World Record to kick off the tournaments, in a big way – literally. More than 80 Saint Louis students will attend the event that will take place from 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. outside of the Chess Club and the World Chess Hall of Fame (4652 Maryland Ave.).
- Mayor Francis Slay will be on hand to issue a mayoral proclamation that Saint Louis is the new “Gateway to Chess.”
- Opening Ceremonies: Located at the Missouri Botanical Garden. Will include opening remarks, announcement of round pairings, cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. Mingle with the best chess players in the country! Begins at 6 p.m. Tickets are $25. Click here for more info.
- Tournament play: The tournament schedule is available uschesschamps.com. All matches are open to the public, with ticket prices for each round set at $10. Annual members of the Chess Club get free entry to the event, and annual memberships start at just $30/year for students or $80/year for adults.
- Finals playoffs (if needed) on May 20: If players are tied after final round of play on Saturday, May 19, games for the playoff round begin at 12 p.m. for both the U.S. and Women’s Championships at the Chess Club.
- Closing Ceremony: Located at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel. Will include a special award ceremony, closing remarks, cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. Help us wrap up the U.S. Chess Championships in style! Begins at 7 p.m Tickets are $25. Click here for more info.