Official Contest Rules
1. The Ultimate St. Louis Tourist Contest (“Contest”) is open to young people ages 8 to 18 who will be in Grades 3 through 12 during the 2017-18 school year. Limit of one entry per person.
2. All entries must be submitted on-line at explorestlouis.com/ultimatetourist.
3. You must have the consent of a parent or guardian to enter the Contest. To enter the contest you will be required to provide: your name, your home address, your age, the grade you are entering in the fall of 2017, your parent/guardian’s email address, parent/guardian’s home or cell phone number, an essay of up to 500 words, and (optional) digital photos or digital video. You will be asked to certify that you are eligible to enter the Contest under #12 below, and that you have agreed to these Official Contest Rules. Unless you are selected as a winner, your personal information will not be used for any other purpose and will not be publicly disclosed.
4. Entries will be judged on their merits and the winners will be chosen by a selection committee made up of members of the St. Louis Civic Pride Foundation board of directors, Commissioners of the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission, and other local community leaders and celebrities.
5. The Contest will accept entries between 8 a.m. on April 1, 2017 and midnight, September 4, 2017.
6. A cash prize of $500.00 each will be awarded to one winner in each of five categories: Grades 3-4, Grades 5-6, Grades 7-8, Grades 9-10, and Grades 11-12. The winning entries may be featured in Explore St. Louis’ Official Visitors Guide and will be posted on explorestlouis.com for a full year.
7. By entering the Contest, the Contestant agrees that if selected as a winner, their entry (and any part of their entry, including photos or video), will become the sole property of the St. Louis Civic Pride Foundation (“Foundation”), and may be used by the Foundation and/or the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission (“Commission”) without any fee or compensation to the Contestant or their parents/guardians. The Contestant, if selected as a winner, irrevocably grants the Foundation and/or the Commission the right to publish their submission or any part of it on-line or in print, and to use any and all submitted photos and video.
8. If a link to photos is submitted with your entry, the photos must be in jpg format. No borders or frames may be added to images. No watermarks, signatures or copyright notices may be added to images.
9. Photos must be the original work of the Contestant, and cannot be copied or reproduced from another source or have been previously submitted to any other contest or publication. Do not submit an essay written by, or a photo or video taken by anyone other than the Contestant. By entering the Contest, Contestant represents and warrants that they are the sole owner of the copyright of any written material, photograph, or video they submit.
10. It is recommended that photos not include the image of a Contestant under the age of 18. If a submitted photo contains the image of a Contestant under the age of 18, the consent of the parent or guardian to the Contestant’s entry gives consent to the use of that image by the Foundation and/or the Commission.
11. Entries will be judged, and one winner for each category of two grades will be selected by the selection committee, based upon the following criteria: (1) Creativity – use of imagination, innovation, originality, and attractiveness of digital images, if submitted; (2) Persuasiveness – use of compelling descriptions; (3) Informative – ability to convey key facts and details; and (4) Effort – demonstration of overall effort and commitment to the project.
12. Employees, and immediate family members of employees of the St. Louis Civic Pride Foundation or of the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission are not eligible to enter the Contest.
13. All taxes, fees and surcharges, if any, are the sole responsibility of the prize winners and/or their parent or guardian. The Foundation and the Commission do not make any representations as to the taxable or non-taxable nature of any prize, and Contestant or their parent/guardian agree to be solely responsible for payment of any such taxes, fees or surcharges, if applicable.
14. Return of any prize as undeliverable will result in disqualification of the winner and selection of another winner.
15. This Contest is offered in St. Louis, Missouri, and is governed by the laws of the United States. The forum for any dispute shall be only in the Circuit Court of the City of St. Louis, Missouri. This Contest is void where restricted or prohibited by law.
16. By entering the Contest, Contestants agree to be bound by these Official Contest Rules.
17. Contestants agree to be bound by the decisions of the selection committee, which shall be final and binding in all respects. The Foundation and the Commission reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual that is found to be tampering with the entrance process, to be acting in violation of the Official Contest Rules, or to be acting in a manner which appears to be intended to annoy, harass, threaten or abuse any person.
18. Neither the Foundation nor the Commission is responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, or for any technical or human error which may occur in connection with the Contest. No responsibility is assumed for any problem or technical malfunction affecting the receipt of entries. In the event that the Contest cannot be held as planned due to a technical problem or cause beyond the control of the Foundation or the Commission, the Foundation may in its sole discretion cancel, modify, suspend or terminate the Contest.
19. By entering the Contest, Contestants and their parent/guardian release the Foundation and the Commission, and their affiliated directors, officers, employees, representatives, and agents, from any liability of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or with the acceptance of any prize.
20. Winners may be required to provide, within seven (7) calendar days of request, a signed release from all persons who appear in any submitted photos. Release will be required to be in the form provided by the Foundation.
21. At the Foundation’s sole discretion, prior to receiving a prize, winners may also be required to provide an affidavit of eligibility in a form provided by the Foundation.
22. No purchase is necessary to win.