Architectural Photography from the Collection, 1850–2000
Architectural Photography from the Collection, 1850–2000 traces the representation of architecture over a period of 150 years, presenting significant examples of photographic prints and illustrated books by European and American artists. Drawn primarily from the Museum’s permanent collection, the works on display in the exhibition create journeys through expanses of both geography and history, from the surviving abbeys of medieval Europe to the skyscrapers of modern America.
This exhibition explores the many reasons why photographers were attracted to architectural subjects. Some worked on commission and utilized their mastery of specialized equipment to communicate complex architectural design through sensitivity to perspective and lighting. Others responded to the shapes, tones, and textures of buildings to create their own artistic expressions in the particular visual language of the photograph.
Included in the exhibition are recent gifts of work by such noted photographers as Francis Frith, Maxime Du Camp, Julius Shulman, and Berenice Abbott. A particular highlight is a rare and compelling work by the team of Leavitt Hunt and Nathan Baker, the first Americans to photograph ancient ruins in Egypt.