Historic Samuel Cupples House
The Historic Samuel Cupples House on the campus of Saint Louis University in St. Louis, Missouri serves as a gallery for SLU's collection of fine and decorative art dating from before 1919. Cupples House is built in the Romanesque Revival style. Now more than 125 years old, the house was restored beginning in 1973. The Eleanor Turshin Glass Collection is shown throughout the house, which was once the home of wealthy St. Louis entrepreneur Samuel Cupples. Construction of the house and stables began in 1888 and the house was completed in 1890. Acquired by SLU in 1946 and originally known to students as the Chouteau House, the building was used as a student center — the basement once hosted a bowling alley and bar — and for academic advising, among other functions. In 1973, Maurice McNamee, S.J. took on the task of restoring the house to its original appearance. The McNamee Gallery, located on the lowest level of Cupples House, hosts exhibitions of art by SLU students and faculty from the fine and performing arts department, as well as visiting artists. Walk-in visits to Cupples House are welcome for groups of all sizes.